Circuit breakers trip regularly
Modern circuit breakers have replaced the old-fashioned fuse box in most newer homes. It’s not unusual for a circuit breaker to trip and turn off the circuit automatically. If this happens, you just have to flick the switch back. However, if a circuit breaker trips frequently it is a warning sign. It may be there are too many high amp appliances plugged into a single circuit and the total amps are more than the circuit is rated for. Alternatively, it could be a sign of a short somewhere in the wiring. Contact a registered electrician to examine the wiring and make any repairs as soon as possible. Anyone who has had to deal with an electrical malfunction knows how inconveniencing the whole situation can be but the good news is we have 24 hour electrician Melbourne to act right away.
Buzzing, charred or discoloured outlets and switches
Light switches and outlets should never be hot to the touch, buzzing or charred. These are all signs of a potentially dangerous problem, such as faulty wiring inside or near the outlet or a loose connection on the switch, causing a short. Only have a qualified electrician carry out even minor repairs.
Shocking switches and outlets
Slight shocks from switches and outlets are not only physically unpleasant but a sure sign something is wrong. It could be a problem with the switch or outlet itself or possibly the device plugged into the outlet. If the device is removed and replaced and the problem persists, the outlet or switch should be examined. It would be a good idea to check the wiring as well. Another sign of faulty wiring is a dead outlet.
A new appliance may produce a bit of a smell the first few times it is switched on but if you detect an odour coming from the outlet, turn off and unplug anything connected with it. Don’t use it again until you have had it checked out by a qualified electrician.
Call an electrician immediately if you smell something electrical burning.
Most electrical wiring has plastic insulation. An electrical fire initially has a fairly acrid smell of plastic burning. The short could be in the outlet or in the wiring inside a wall and can be hard to locate.
Experts say if you smell something electrical burning you are lucky – most warning signs of electrical fires are invisible and odourless. Electrical wiring can heat for years before reaching the flashpoint of setting other materials ablaze.
This is always a bad sign. If a circuit breaker or fuse box is sparking, call an electrician urgently. But a sparking appliance, for example toaster, may mean the fixture itself is damaged. If the appliance is less than one-year-old you should be able to get it repaired or replaced under guarantee. Don’t use it again until you have had it checked out.
Flicking or dimming lights
Frequently flicking or dimming lights can be a sign of faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit. But it can also be the light itself that is the problem – you may be able to test the lamp on an outlet on a different circuit. If more than one light is flicking regularly, it could be a sign of a serious wiring problem. Consult a qualified electrician to see if your property needs rewiring.
Frayed, damaged and exposed wires and cables
All electrical installations deteriorate with age and use. Frayed, damaged and exposed wiring and cables can be a major fire hazard and cause of electrocution. Call a properly qualified electrician to check out the wiring in your house and if necessary get it updated.
Electrical Inspection Report
Regular inspections and testing are recommended to check the wiring and fixed electrical equipment in your house is safe. Take note to find a registered electrician able to produce an electrical report for you please click here